Friday, May 28, 2010

Taco Pizza


Ignore the foil...I left my pizza pan in the other apartment, so I had to improvise. I had heard of taco pizza (I have a true heart for pizza...I just love love love it!) before but never had it. I was attempting to use up some groceries we had in the house, because I HATE to buy more groceries when we haven't gone through everything first, and low and behold, I had ingredients for taco pizza. And, turns out, taco pizza is stinkin' delicious! And so, so simple! The method is below:

Brown the meat (I used ground turkey, but any ground meat will be perfect)
Add taco seasoning
Put seasoned meat on pizza crust
Top with mexican blend shredded cheese
Throw in oven at 425 degrees until cheese is melted
Remove from oven and top with chopped lettuce and crunched up taco shells

You can add anything to the top of the pizza that you would normally eat on a taco (peppers, tomatoes, olives, etc.) but, I live with a picky eater, so our toppings were restricted. We did add a bit of salsa and sour cream to each slice, and THAT really topped it off and pulled the whole thing together. Andy said it was the best pizza he had ever had! We'll definitely make it again.

I also have a new passion for frugal living and am particularly interested in eating well on a (tight) budget. So, as I post recipes, I'm going to include price breakdowns. For this one, I'm estimating prices but will be more exact in the future.

Ground turkey - $3.00
Taco seasoning - $0.85
Lettuce (from the Farmer's Market...delicious!) - $2.00 for the bunch. We used approximately 1/4 of the bunch, so $0.50
Cheese - $2.00
Pizza crust - $3.00 for a package of two crusts, so $1.50 for this pizza
Taco shells - $0.88
Sour cream and salsa - already had in the fridge (free for this recipe!)

Total: $8.73. However, the pizza provided three meals (me and Andy for dinner, and then Andy for lunch that week). That's a total of $2.91 per meal! Bet you can't get that delicious meal at a pizza place for less than $3.00.

4 comments:

Emily said...

Ha! Did you see my blog earlier this week? We were food twins :)

Jennyeve said...

Yummmmmo! I'll have to make this for my hubby.

The Crowes said...

I love that we were food twins, Emily! How funny!!

Jenny, I'm sure Dusty will love it!!! So easy, so quick, so delicious!

The Crowes said...

True, Rio. There are perks to midwest living...