Sunday, January 18, 2009

So far...so manageable...

Giving up television has been interesting. Who knew I had SO MUCH time on my hands? haha. Let me clarify, first. I have watched some television since deciding to detox myself. However, if I watch something now, it's very intentional (e.g. 30 minute meals; the news). At first, I thought I should give up television completely and only watch movies, which I also consider a very intentional choice (not movies that randomly come on TV, but you know, my Netflix subscription...). But then I realized, calm down and stop being so rigid.  No one is going to "punish me" if I "slip up". And was does that even mean, considering I was the one who decided to give up TV? ha. However, the whole thing has been a truly liberating experience. I've had the opportunity to do great things with the extra time, like exercise, read scripture, journal, read books for leisure, listen to music, and just be quiet. That is definitely something I have been missing. I remember all of the time I spent in graduate school, just laying on my couch, watching the curtains blow. Now, of course, I wasn't being productive in those minutes, but I was allowing myself to detach from the rush of life. And I must say, it was always so very refreshing. Once Andy walked into my life, that exercise in quietness was forgotten, as Andy happens to be the type that needs background noise. So, as I've embarked on this journey of little to no television, I've reconnected with that thing that I loved to do so much...just...be. It's really lovely.

Along with my TV hiatus, Andy and I have both agreed that we want to be more intentional with our money. Or, perhaps I should just say intentional, leaving out the "more", as we are both VERY good and spending when we sure don't need anything. It has been really eye-opening, just in the few weeks we've committed to this. And I must admit, it's usually me who throws the towel in too early when it comes to practicing good stewardship with $$, so I've been really proud of both of us. We're utilizing our meal plans every day and just plain refusing to buy stuff.  I feel quite spoiled talking about using a meal plan, as I know that we've been blessed so graciously while people all around us are sometimes making the choice between food and the bills. I'm thankful that we have recognized the blessings God has given us, because I think it helps us to remember those around us, and the situations that others are in. By simply remembering others, we can pray for, reach out to, serve, etc.  Praise God for humbling our hearts by showing us the tough, tough stuff others are dealing with each day! So...anyhow, Andy and I have been quite amazed at how much $$ we were throwing away to restaurants every week. We basically have two great restaurants right here on campus, in the form of nationally recognized dining centers, where we can choose from LOTS of great food, and it's all free! I'm ashamed to say it has taken us so long to realize how spoiled we were to think that we deserved to be eating out all the time, but again, I'm glad God has humbled us!

What I think is so funny (and fun) about consciously trying to not spend money is discovering how good we were at rationalizing spending before. Example, today, Andy and I are at Walmart (getting my oil changed (I was two thousand miles over...) and air put into the tires, because free air at any gas station is out of commission, given the subzero temps) when I remembered that we could really use another (key word, "another") humidifer for our bedroom. Two weeks ago, we would have put it on my credit card and enjoyed yet another luxury. Today, I said to Andy, "you know what, instead of spending $25, let's just move the other humidifer we already have (which, by the way, was provided in our apartment for FREE) into our bedroom at night." Andy said "I like where your head's at...". I laughed out loud in Walmart and headed back to the auto department to pay and get outta there. It was such a perfect example of how we're trying to break the conditioning we've developed in ourselves to think that we "need" something, when really we just "want" something. Exploring the differences between those two things is so important, and again, I'm thankful for God's grace in leading us down this direction (with the help of Liz, who God is working through day in and day out). The whole ordeal is quite empowering.  And, it's getting really fun. It's beginning to feel like a game for me, figuring out ways to not have to buy stuff. Of course, don't expect to see me going to any true extremes, but it is nice to know that we're trying to be good stewards of the gifts God has given us!

In other news, Andy started the semester last week and I think he's enjoying his classes. He's certainly anxious and ready to be done with school, but knowing that there is now a light at the end of the tunnel (he's scheduled to graduate December of this year) has provided him with enough motivation to push through. You go, babe!

The semester is of course off and running for me, as usual. Spring is busy in the ResLife world, but it should make the time pass quickly.  I'm ready for the beautiful, snow free, slower pace of summer.

My last piece for now is the reminder that God has a mysterious way of working. I'm always so amazed at how full my heart feels each Sunday after church. Seeking the face of God is so rewarding! And oh, how God provides! Today our minister read a puritan prayer that included the request to "be content in all things". Now, these words aren't special on their own, but, as I've struggled for so long to always anticipate/be anxious for, or about, the "next thing", this phrase really hit home with me.  It's the way I want to live every moment of my life, and it's the way I SHOULD live every moment of my life, because God has provided and will continue to provide for all of my needs. There's no reason to be anything other than "content in all things". 

Also, I had to laugh, because one of the songs we sang this morning was called "I'd Rather Have Jesus". It immediately made me think of our recent efforts to spend $$ more intentionally and reminded me that my first desire/priority should always be to follow God. The lyrics are below:

I’d rather have Jesus than silver or gold;
I’d rather be His than have riches untold;
I’d rather have Jesus than houses or lands;
I’d rather be led by His nail-pierced hand
Than to be the king of a vast domain,
Or be held in sin’s dread sway;
I’d rather have Jesus than anything
This world affords today.
I’d rather have Jesus than men’s applause;
I’d rather be faithful to His dear cause;
I’d rather have Jesus than worldwide fame;
I’d rather be true to His holy name
He’s fairer than lilies of rarest bloom;
He’s sweeter than honey from out the comb;
He’s all that my hungering spirit needs;
I’d rather have Jesus and let Him lead

Easy words and a tough road to choose, huh?

No comments: