Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Life in Terre Haute

21 days ago we packed a moving van (thanks to Scott C. Ronda L. and Claudia P.) and prepared to head to Indiana early the next day. We arrived in Terre Haute by the middle of the afternoon and were met by my sister and brother-in-law, who thankfully, helped us unload the moving van. The next day they left and my mom and stepdad joined us to help unpack the apartment. The following day (New Years Day) Andy, Spike and I headed home to Bedford to have Christmas with my dad and stepmom. Those were, to say the least, a busy few days.

Andy and I both started our new jobs on January 3 and are happy to report that, so far, we love them! I am really enjoying my time as an academic advisor and am enjoying the opportunity for hands-on learning (e.g. I learn as I work through stuff with students). I also really like the people that I work with and appreciate the relaxed atmosphere. Andy is enjoying his new job, too and is adjusting nicely. Spike has yet to start looking for a job, but we're hopeful he will find his motivation any day now.

Although we haven't had much time to explore Terre Haute, we like the city so far. Our apartment is in a nice location, giving us quick access to both ends of town. We're just down the road from an interstate and shopping area and I am about 15 minutes from campus (20 minutes, if I get stopped by one of the traffic lights that seem to occur every 10 ft. or so...)

By far, the best perk of moving has been our proximity to family. While it was fun and exciting to move to Iowa, we didn't understand then how important it was to be close to family. Now we have a new appreciation :-). It's so lovely to be able to take a day to see our parents, friends, siblings, etc. without having to worry about trying to plan a full-fledged vacation. What a blessing!

Once we get unpacked all the way and get some decorating done, we'll post a few shots of our new place.

With love,
Ashleigh and Andy

No comments: