Tuesday, March 1, 2011

I'm so in love with this recipe!

Since I'm quite sure that my family is sick of me talking about freakin' Hoppin' John's, I thought I'd blog about it, instead.

I haven't put any recipes or posts about cooking up lately, but had to share this super-duper amazing thing. We were at my dad's for New Years Day and he insisted on making "Hoppin' John's" to ensure we all had a great 2011. I was skeptical. Then, I tried it and immediately fell in love. Here's the Bill Weddle version:

1 15 oz can blackeye peas, rinshed and drained
1 medium onion
1 red bell pepper
3 cups rice
1/2 cup water or stock
garlic, salt, and pepper

Dice the onion and pepper and saute with garlic, salt, and pepper until onions are translucent. Start rice. Throw peas into onion/pepper mix and stir. Throw in 1/2 cup water or stock. Simmer. Before rice is done, through peas/peppers/onions mixture right into the rice. Let the rice finish cooking.

I know, it sounds simple. And, it may sound gross. But I guarantee you that it is delicious. Not to mention totally versatile and the poster child for how to spread a buck. The batch makes at least 12 1/2 cup servings. I eat it cold with my lunches, though heated up is delicious too. I've thrown turkey meat right on top and then put it in the microwave for a meal. I'm even thinking of frying it up with an egg for my own fried rice. It's so economical and so delicious! I. Cannot. Get. Enough.

If I figure out anything else to do with it, I'll let you know!

1 comment:

Lizzy said...

And it's official. Trying it this weekend!! Love you!