Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Taco Bake

I created this (okay..."create" meaning I didn't utilize a recipe. I realize I am not the first to do this) last night and it was a HIT! So scrumptious that I am actually excited about the leftovers (I am known in my household as the leftover snob)!

1 lb ground turkey -prepared per instructions on back of taco seasoning packet
1 4 oz can green chilies - added to browned turkey
1 can fat free refried beans - "loosened" up and heated through with olive oil and garlic
About 6 hard taco shells
About 12 oz (I know...it's kind of a lot but I LOVE cheese)
Lettuce, salsa, sour cream - you know, the taco's usual suspects toppings

Once the meat is prepared and the beans are spreadable, I broke the taco shells in half and layered them on the bottom of a small casserole dish. Then half the meat, then half the beans, then half the cheese. Then another layer of shells, the rest of the meat, the rest of the beans, the rest of the cheese :-). Deliciously simple! Baked it in the oven for about 20 minutes, long enough for the cheese to melt and the juices to soften the taco shells. Hot out of the oven I topped each serving with lettuce, salsa, and sour cream. It was delightful! And so, so easy. What more could you ask for in dinner - quick, simple, YUMMY! I didn't take any pictures but it was basically an orange colored casserole. :-)

No comments: