Friday, May 24, 2013

Crowe's Nest Updates

Man, time flies and it's hard to keep up. Here are some updates:

LO's - The case is moving in a very positive direction. We got to increase overnight visits at our last family team meeting so the LO's are now with their mom Friday-Monday. They also get afternoon/evening visits with mom or dad on Tuesdays and Thursdays. It's so amazing to see the children grow, learn new things, etc. It's also amazing how much and how quickly kids change! We're so blessed to be along for a bit of the ride.

Turner - We found out last month that we're having a boy and we're naming him Turner. The name came to Andy as he was trying to find names associated with the Atlanta Braves :-) So yes, our son will be named after a baseball stadium. We haven't decided on any middle names yet but have some in mind. Over the last few weeks I've gotten to feel T move regularly and three nights ago Andy felt him kick for the first time! What a magical experience. We go to the doctor next week and can't wait to hear his precious heart beat again.

The pregnancy - God has given me an amazing pregnancy so far. After longing for this experience for so long, I've been amazed at the grace God has shown me. Though I've had friends who have had very difficult pregnancies, so far things have been going very smoothly for me. I did fail an early 1 hour glucose tolerance test but passed (barely) the 3 hour test. I'll take another test in about a month and we'll see how that one goes. Otherwise, things are wonderful. I'm definitely feeling good right now (23.5 weeks along) and have no complaints. This weekend we're going to have some maternity pictures taken. I'll be sure to share once we have them back!

Work - I'm gearing up for another year of New Student Orientation. The university is transitioning to a university college model for Fall 2013, which means I've been reassigned to a new group of students. I'll no longer work with undecided students but instead will work with first year students interested in laboratory science, computer science, and math majors. Though it will be a big switch, I'm glad to be staying with first year students. I won't be teaching in the fall because of maternity leave but hope to pick up another UNIV 101 course to teach in the spring. Andy has been busy at Labor Link and church and we're gearing up for Vacation Bible School. This year, I'll be teaching the 1st-2nd graders and Andy will be my classroom helper. What out, kids!

Life - Life is wonderful and busy. This summer I'm starting a Ph.D program, taking my first class in June/July. I'm planning to apply for the Curriculum and Instruction Ph.D program for the Spring of 2014. First major hurdle is taking the GRE again. I've been avoiding it for a while but plan to begin my studying this summer with the goal to get the test done before Turner arrives.

House - We still love our house. When we bought the house we told ourselves that we wouldn't make any real changes to the house until we'd lived in it a year. Boy, was that easy. I can't believe it's already been more than a year!  With the warmer weather comes the desire to start all kinds of outdoor projects. My current obsession is landscaping the yard, but we haven't done a lick of work yet. And since we didn't do any planning and want to pay for home improvements in cash, the landscaping project may have to wait another year. Or at least a few months. For now, we're just trying to keep up with mowing the yard and pulling weeds. Last week, the kids and I came home from the day and C told me that something was in my "dead garden." He was referring to the flower garden that's by our front porch. It's full of green plants, including a number of weeds. I tried to explain that it was booming with life, but I think it just looked like chaos to him. Project #1 for this weekend - do something about that...

No comments: