Friday, June 4, 2010

Scotcheroos (an Iowa dessert)


These things are absolutely amazing! I got the recipe from a friend, who has a wonderful blog called They Call Me Old Fashioned . She's incredibly talented and always coming up with recipes, crafts, etc. Anyhoo, I've been buying a scotcheroo from her every week at the Farmer's Market and finally decided to try her recipe. It's below:

1 stick butter
1 cup light Karo Syrup
1 cup sugar
1 cup smooth peanut butter
6 cups Rice Krispies
1 pkg chocolate chips
1/2 tbsp oil (I used canola but you could use vegetable)

Combine butter, syrup, and sugar together. Once it comes to a rolling boil, remove from heat, add peanut butter, and stir until well combined and smooth. Stir mixture into rice krispies. I split the peanut butter mixture into three smaller pours instead of dumping the entire thing into the rice krispies. Once the rice krispies and the peanut butter mixture is well combined, put it into a 9x13 pan and spread out. Then, melt the chocolate chips in a bowl, add the oil, stir again, and pour over rice krispies. Couldn't be easier; couldn't be more delicious! I got about 18 bars out of this recipes, and spent right around $6, so that's only $0.34 per bar. You could easily split the batch into 24 smaller pieces, but I don't like to skimp! The next time we have family or friends up, I'm definitely going to make these scotcheroos for them, because it's something I hadn't ever heard of until I moved to good ol' Iowa.

1 comment:

Jennyeve said...

These have to be my favorite dessert ever!!!!! Okay that and my toffee I make. I'll have to share the recipe with you sometime.