Tuesday, July 6, 2010

10k

Spike and I are training for my first 10k. Spike won't be joining me on race day, but he gets to come along for the companionship. My friend, Lisa and I recently signed up for our first (I think it's her first too) 10k, which will happen in early September. To be honest, I've been dreading it; and, worse yet, I've been avoiding the training part. The last time I ran a race was two years ago, and it was just a 5k. The last time I trained for a race was about six years ago...I can never find the discipline. Then, I haphazardly came across a training program in Fitness Magazine. It's the first downloadable link that pops up. Yes, it's a beginner's plan, but, I guess it's time to consider myself a beginner...again. And yes, it's a walk/run program, but you know what - I've resigned myself to the idea that finishing a 10k will be very rewarding...even if I have to walk a few minutes. So, in order to keep myself a bit more accountable, I'm going to blog about the training program, as I go through it.

Week 1
Monday - REST - check (how convenient that I came across this training program on a Monday evening ;-) )
Tuesday - walk (2 minutes)/run (2 minutes). Continue for 15-20 minutes - check
Wednesday - REST or cross-train
Thursday - Walk (1 minute)/run (10 minutes). Continue for 15-20 minutes
Friday - REST
Saturday - Cross-train
Sunday - Long run. Walk (2 minutes)/run (5 minutes). Continue for 30-40 minutes

Since I still have a gym membership on campus, I'm going to use that to my advantage over the next few weeks, while I'm still here. I'll cross-train over there, either swimming or cycling. Once I move to CR full time, I'll cross-train with some aerobics...in my living room...watch out, neighbors!

1 comment:

LDJ said...

Woo Hoo!!! Our first 10K..here we come!